hEAD OF BIOINFORMATICS
Commense is pioneering a deep understanding of the microbiome early in life and its fundamental role in promoting a lifetime of health. Drawing insights from natural exposures to beneficial microbes, Commense is developing approaches to guide the priming, seeding, and maintaining of the microbiome in infants and children. Co-founded by PureTech Health (“PureTech,” LSE: PRTC) and working with the world’s leading microbiome scientists, physicians, and product developers, Commense is developing a novel category of products to address critical unmet needs in pediatric populations.
The Head of Bioinformatics will be a key member of Commense’s expanding leadership team, and will play a critical role in shaping Commense’s strategic direction, and provide leadership in the creation of Commense’s products, analysis methods, algorithms, pipelines, and design and validation of clinical tests. Startup experience is desirable. Experience in bringing a technology product to market is also desirable.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of academic life-science and technology industry experience. He/she must have worked in a clinical research environment or for a firm with technologies supporting research and/or data management for genetic, proteomic and/or electronic health record initiatives. The candidate must be passionate about cloud/SaaS business models, big data analytics technologies, and have impeccable data science skills. They will anchor their decisions in strategy and defend them with data, influence, and an understanding of how to collaborate with the product teams, and thrive in a “startup-like” environment. Must be passionate about using large datasets to generate actionable insights and solutions to improve the lives of patients.
- Designs, develops and programs methods, processes, and systems to consolidate and analyze unstructured, diverse “big data” sources to drive research, technology development, and product development projects.
- Interact with all internal company stakeholders including product, business development, engineering and service teams to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experiments.
- Develops and codes software programs, algorithms and automated processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate large datasets from multiple disparate sources.
- Identifies meaningful insights from large data and metadata sources; interprets and communicates insights and findings from analysis and experiments to product, service, and business managers.
- Create novel technical approaches and IP that push performance beyond current capabilities and translate these innovations into product improvements.
- Foster a scientific culture of collaboration, innovation, rigor, and transparency.
- Acknowledged authority within the corporation. Act as a leader of large-scale company initiatives. Viewed by peers as a leader and top contributor and by management as a key business partner. Have credibility with external subject matter experts.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Bioinformatics, Statistics, or related field
- Minimum 15 years of progressive experience in computational biology and bioinformatics demonstrating success and contribution to the field
- Extensive experience with large scale scientific software projects
- Well developed research plans with a robust scientific track record to include software and/or algorithm development that is aligned with scientific objectives and consistent with current best practices
- Strong record of developing and publishing computational analyses with a focus on human disease, human health or microbiology
- Deep knowledge of both academic and commercial informatics solutions
- Successful track record of leading teams or groups in computational efforts
- Proven ability to hire, coach and develop world class talent
- Excellent leadership capabilities with demonstrated skill in building, guiding and motivating effective teams and fostering productive research collaborations
- Outstanding communication and partnering skills
- Excellent cross-disciplinary skills in communicating scientific ideas to non-scientist stakeholders to foster collaboration and deliverable-based team work
- Eperience with technical assessment of third party software solutions and vendors, willingness to lead a combined buy and build strategy is desirable
Location: Boston MA, USA.
Travel: This position requires travel up to 5% domestically and internationally.