SENIOR Scientist/Team LEAD - IMMUNOLOGy, In vivo Biology, pharmacology
Commense Health is pioneering a deep understanding of the microbiome early in life and its fundamental role in promoting a lifetime of health. Drawing insights from natural exposures to beneficial microbes, Commense is developing approaches to guide the priming, seeding, and maintaining of the microbiome in infants and children. Co-founded by PureTech Health (“PureTech,” LSE: PRTC) and working with the world’s leading microbiome scientists, physicians, and product developers, Commense is developing a novel category of products to address critical unmet needs in pediatric populations.
The Senior Scientist/Team Lead we are seeking will be a key member of Commense’s expanding leadership team, playing a critical role driving forward Commense’s immunology and in vivo biology efforts. The Senior Scientist/Team Lead will spearhead the design and execution of studies to assess the ability of human commensal bacteria to elicit immune responses in germ free mouse models, conventional mice, and in vitro cell-based assays.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about translating bench findings to the clinic. The ideal candidate will have a mix of academic life science and biopharma industry experience. The candidate will anchor his/her priorities in line with business strategy, make decisions driven by data, influence and collaborate with all internal teams, and thrive in a startup-like”environment.
- In partnership with strategy leaders of the team, design, plan, execute, and interpret in vivo, ex vivo, and in vivo studies using a variety of approaches and techniques
- Take observations and associations from human studies and develop assays to evaluate cellular pathways of host-microbe interactions
- Analysis and presentation of study data, provide scientific interpretations and recommendations in both team and company settings
- Lead and execute research projects independently, and ensure that projects support current company goals
- Foster a scientific culture of collaboration, innovation, rigor, and transparency
- Acknowledged authority within the corporation. Act as a leader of large-scale company initiatives. Viewed by peers as a leader and top contributor and by management as a key business partner. Have credibility with external subject matter experts.
- Train, supervise, and mentor junior staff as needed
- Ph.D. in Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry, or related field, with post-doctoral training and significant contributions to the scientific field
- At least 5 years working in biotech or pharma; experience running science on industry time required
- Significant experience designing and working with mouse models of disease. Managing a colony and experience in maintaining institutional protocols a plus.
- Expertise in ex vivo studies including flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, immunology, and cell-based assays
- Expertise in cell and molecular biology, extensive experience in mammalian cell culture
- Experience in in vitro pharmacology and assay development is a plus
- Successful track record of building and leading teams in a technical lead role. Excellent leadership capabilities with demonstrated skill in building, guiding and motivating effective teams and fostering productive research collaborations
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and partnering skills
- Excellent cross-disciplinary skills in communicating scientific ideas to non-scientist stakeholders to foster collaboration and deliverable-based team work
- Experience working in the microbiome, autoimmunity, or inflammation fields highly desirable
- Startup experience is highly valued. Ability to adjust rapidly to changing scientific priorities and technologies
Location: Cambridge MA, USA.
Travel: This position requires travel up to 5% domestically and internationally